Hello and welcome to my blogspace!

This is where I'm going to try and scribble some stuff down about my forthcoming trip to Malawi! Rumphi to be exact which is in the North of Malawi (near Mzuzu) where I'll be working in a 'small' hospital for a mere 225,000 people of Malawi and Zambia. Fun and games!

Internet access may be a bit sketchy there so I hope I'll be able to write and upload pictures as much as possible.

I will be working for Voluntary Services Overseas, a charity who's goal is to fight poverty in developing countries. You can visit their website at http://www.vso.org.uk and have a read!

Thank you to everyone who's already sponsored me and if you'd like to continue to or make a new donation my just giving page is www.justgiving.com/hooilingharrison which will be open until the end of the year and after that you can donate directly through the VSO website!

If you have time, I would appreciate any emails so i can keep in touch with the gos in England! or call me- my skype name is hooi-lingharrison (not sure yet whether the internet connection will be good enough to do it but will try)

It would also be great if anyone can write me letters -it's always nice getting things in the post and then I can read it over again and it doesn't rely on dodgey internet access! The address is
Rumphi District Hospital
PO Box 225
Rumphi
Malawi


Thank you very much and take care!

Hooi-Ling

Completing the Coast to Coast for VSO

Completing the Coast to Coast for VSO

Monday 20 December 2010

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!

OK, don’t say I told you so, but, I’ve given in and hired a cleaning lady. The floors were just getting way too dusty and need mopping so much that I’ve not had time to do it and she does do a really good job of it, much better than I could do. It’s also handy that she decides to wash my dishes and clean my windows as well. And of course I’m helping the local economy- £12 a month- not bad. Hum.

Unfortunately VSO have not received enough funding through DFID this year and although they approved my project for making an emergency room in the OPD they then had to deny the funds for it and all of the projects the other volunteers had applied for. I was getting a bit depressed about it when, amazingly for me, I met a woman through a friend who works for Irish Aid. And they’ve agreed to fund my project instead! I’m very pleased about it and hopefully I will be able to get started on it next week. In order to complete the paperwork, though, I had to make a hurried journey to Mzuzu to send a letter by DHL. Of course whenever there is a time pressure there will always be a transport disaster. Not sure how many of you know but the ‘minibuses’ here don’t run to a timetable- they just leave when they’re full. So nice and early I arrive at the bus stop feeling rather pleased with  myself that the bus I’d got on was full so expecting a departure any time soon. But oh no, full is not when all the seats are taken, but actually when a bus with capacity of 11 has 18 people, 2 babies and a load of bags in it too. So half an hour of occasionally revving the engine to maybe convince people that we were going to leave anytime soon ‘so you’d better hurry and get on’, and of lots of changing around of passengers- god knows why- if you’ve decided to get on a bus to go somewhere why do you decide to get off after 20 mins? - we eventually set off.  Only to find after 500m - a police road block checking for overcrowding of the buses. The way the fine is avoided is by a passenger getting off and running down the road past the road block and then they are picked up further on. Got through that one ok but at the next road block the driver was not so lucky. We clearly had way too many passengers but for some reason the driver thought it was worth debating the issue with the police officer for quite some time. I was getting more and more agitated- the plan was to arrive in time for the 9am DHL to Lilongwe and it was already 8:30 so I was losing hope. Suddenly though the bus full of us started rolling backwards! The driver had not put the brakes on properly. Everyone started shouting and the monsoon drain by the side of the road was looking dangerously close. So I tried to instruct a front passenger to pull the hand brake but they just weren’t getting it!- not their fault really that they couldn’t understand English. (Must add that to essential lines to learn in Chitimbuka.) Luckily the driver spotted that his bus was rolling towards him when it shouldn’t have been and managed to run and put the brakes on! Phew. Really didn’t want to end up in the drain. He eventually paid a 2000MK fine (about £8) and then we were on our way, full of confidence. The rest of the journey was made up of a ridiculous number of stops, filling up the bus to overflowing capacity- well the fine had been paid now so how else were they going to make up the money lost?, and a woman who vomited all over her baby.  Well it may not surprise you that I did not get there til 10:30 (only 60km distance) and I missed the DHL for that day.

Work is going well and I had a session educating diabetics about diabetes (obviously) and ran a clinic for them. Unfortunately glucose and protein is out of stock so I couldn’t test their urine, some of them ate before their fasting blood sugar and most had run out of their drugs several days before. So slightly difficult to decide on what treatment they should take and how much. Anyway most of them attend just so they can have the free food!

The drug situation is getting a bit dire, still no diazepam, no normal saline, no paracetamol, no oral antimalarials!! etc but, there is omeprazole!- what?! Obviously the most essential drug. And the student nurses have just been told that they can not continue to study as the government have not paid the college fees. But of course there are enough nurses so no more need to be trained right?

I’ve been getting my hand into a bit of operating too which is quite exciting- did an umbilical hernia repair and some evacuations which is quite unpleasant. I am getting quite pained by the lack of monitoring of patients though. I had a lady who was vomiting blood ++ , had an HB of 6, heart rate of 150 and BP of 80. So all I wanted was at least some regular monitoring- but when I reviewed her the next day, because the clinician forgot, absolutely nothing had been written on the charts since my last entry. Grrr! Luckily she’s still alive. Because of this I am trying to change the ward around and put all the sick patients in one section which should hopefully encourage the nurses to closely monitor them like a mini HDU.

And last weekend I went down to Mwanza in the south for the leaving party of Diana and James and couple of Dutchies. So we planned a competition England v Holland. They had to do a mixture of  English Dutch, and Malawian challenges. For example- 3 legged egg and spoon race and the ridiculously named ‘spikerpoopen’ where you have to put a nail into a bottle that’s tied to a string around your waist. We also got the girls to balance pots on their heads and make nsima which the Malawians loved laughing at how useless they were at it!

I can’t believe its Christmas in less than a week when it’s so bloody hot- but I hear you have blizzards at home! Maybe it’ll be a white Christmas? I’ve tried to get into the spirit of it by putting some tinsel, I bought from Lilongwe, up on the walls and I have a nice 1.5 ft tall pink Christmas tree kindly donated by Marianne and Rina. This will be my first Christmas away from home! Boo. But I will be with friends and we’re eating guinea fowl so I’m sure it will be fun.

Hope you all have wonderful Xmas’s!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a lucky escape on the bus. I know What monsoon drains are like- you get in and never get out!!!. Hope you get the funding for the project. Will get some fund raising done in the UK also. Hope you have a lovely Christmas. You'll be very much missed at home but you'll be in our thoughts.
    Mumsiexxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ling
    So it sounds like African adventure is going along in true Ling style. I hope you had a great Xmas, did you catch up with James and Diana?? I worked Xmas but was actually quite nice, not too busy and lots of yummy food in NICU!!! New Year was a quiet affair with a couple of friends at our house watching the fireworks from the balcony. I am currently trying to do some study and Andrew is starting the renovations to our house. He has dismantled the old deck to make way for the new one and is busily tiling the bathroom. Chose a good one I think!!!!
    Anyway hope things continue to go well in Malawi and that the ED project gets underway.
    All my love and take care of yourself
    Vicky xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete